Latest News

The perfect technique? The perfect medium?

mercoledì 1 dicembre 2010 , Posted by Giovanni at 02:44

Ciao a tutti,

I can't recall how many times I've read or been asked about the best technique, the best medium to paint or the perfect colour mix.

Well the answer is simple, there is no perfect technique, neither the perfect medium or the right colours mix.

Painting historical miniatures is all about own taste and own abilities.

Look at the miniature I'm painting at the moment, loof at his face and compare to the one that has been painted by Maurizio Di Matteo (aka Mao) and, last but not least, the one from Ernesto Reyes.

All different version, all really well painted (clearly I'm talking about Mao and Ernesto ones..) but different styles, different mediums, different colour mix. You may like one more than the other, but again is your sensibility and taste.

I found all of them fascinating and really well done, I will surely pick up some tricks and effects from them, but I will never be able to paint like them.

I do prefer oils for leathers and flesh tones, because have a satin finish and are easier to blend, while for fabrics I prefer acrylics because of the opaque finish, Ernesto and Mao may prefer acrylics or enamels, doesn't matter!

So which is the perfect way? again, there is no perfect or right way, find your own way! experiment, paint, ENJOY!

Ciao

Giovanni














Currently have 2 commenti:

  1. Dani Serrano says:

    I totally agree with you!

    By the way, great videos, I may try the oil technique in a bust I have ;)

  1. Giovanni says:

    Hi Dani,

    Thanks for your comment, I'm glad we are on the same mindset.

    Please try the oils and let me know when you have finish, maybe we can publish your pics here?

    Ciao

    Giovanni

Leave a Reply

Posta un commento